WHAT'S SYOWING THIS WEEK?

SCREENING SKEDS of what's in Iloilo Theaters this Week...
SELECT YOUR THEATERS
|| FDCP Cinematheque || UPV Cinematheque || Robinsons Movieworld JARO ||
|| Robinsons Movieworld ILOILO || SM Cinema Iloilo ||
[all screening skeds are subject to change without prior notice]

Wednesday, January 23, 2013

MOVIES OPENING THIS WEEK [Jan. 23, 2013]

PARKER
opens this Friday. This film is a crime thriller directed by Taylor Hackford. Starring Jason Statham and Jennifer Lopez, the film is adapted from Flashfire, the 19th Parker novel, written by Donald Westlake under the name Richard Stark.

My View: The Movie will definitely work for Jason Statham fans, and just people who love action movies like they do beer. I also love good action, but I am not very excited for this one. Maybe it's Jennifer Lopez that turned me off from this movie, or perhaps the fact that I am familiar with the source material; and Statham (as much as I love him as an action icon) is honestly not fit for this role. Maybe if I dont have any other movie to watch, just maybe I'll stumble into this one.

THE IMPOSSIBLE
is a 2012 English-language Spanish disaster drama film directed by Juan Antonio Bayona. It was written by Sergio G. Sánchez, stars Naomi Watts and Ewan McGregor, and is based on the true story of a Spanish family's experience of the 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami. The film received positive reviews from critics, who praised its direction and its acting, especially from Watts who was nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress and a Golden Globe Award for Best Actress – Motion Picture Drama.

My View: Many of you may want to experience this gem in the theaters, especially since reviews and feedbacks had praise for the heart-pounding visuals and impact of the horrifying tsunami scenes.
Although I can say that I have utmost confidence on the quality of this movie, personally, I may decline to watch it in theaters since it has already has its international release a year ago [September 2012], and I would'nt be surprised if the DVD will soon be available (be it in shops or online)

HANSEL & GRETEL: WITCH HUNTERS
is an upcoming 2013 American action-adventure horror film directed by Tommy Wirkola and filmed in 3-D. It is a continuation to the fairy tale Hansel and Gretel by the Brothers Grimm, starring Jeremy Renner and Gemma Arterton in the titular roles, with Famke Janssen as the leader of a coven of evil witches that they seek out to destroy. The film is set to be released in the US on January 25, 2013.

My View: I'm sure there's going to be action and plenty of visual effects in this movie. If it looks like your cup of tea, then go for it. On the other hand, I have no faith in its quality. Apart from the fact that I am sick and tired of corny "re-telling of old fairy tale concepts into modern approach" its trailer and its storyline from the outset just screams of being just the same old unimpressive eye candy shit. I wont even wait for this shit on torrent.


MENOR DE EDAD
from Viva Films, this is a movie about a 15-year-old Jen Guilarman, a 3rd year high school student, who leads a lonely, troubled existence in a tenement housing building. Brought up by her dysfunctional mom, Edna and her mom's tomboy live-in partner, Jags, Jen experiences a hellish life from which she tries to escape.

My View: What? a Joel Lamangan movie? That alone spells LOUSY MOVIE. This is nothing more than a vehicle to launch (exploit) some starlet's sexy career. You could not force me to watch this shit, not unless for the purpose of reinforcing my claim that Joel Lamangan is such an overrated lousy director.

THE LAST STAND
(opened last Friday) The Last Stand is an action drama film written by Andrew Knauer and directed by Kim Ji-woon (Director of I SAW THE DEVIL, A BITTERSWEET LIFE, and THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE WEIRD). The film will be Arnold Schwarzenegger's first leading role since Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines in 2003. This will be the first American production for Kim Ji-woon and cinematographer Kim Ji-yong as well as composer Mowg.

My View: Schwarzenegger may have made lots of dumb movies in the past, but this time, in his return he's working with Kim Ji-woon who really is an awesome director. Sadly the US box office is not very friendly to this film. But the critics do tell us that it is indeed a solid fun action movie. My money is on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog